Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Celluloid Corner (or Kelly's Picture Pics... whatever)

Me thinks tis time to catch up on the movies I've seen in the past couple of weeks and provide all of you folkses out there my thoughts on what's worth seeing these days in Cinemaville, USA.

Last weekend, Pookie (as I love to call my better half) and I decided to do a Double Feature at our local Monroe Galaxy Cinemaplex. Now this is something we used to do all the time when the ol' Galaxy 12 Theaters was new and "happenin'" and sitting by itself next to a gravel pit back behind Fred Meyers (back when Monroe was nothing more than a cow town on hwy 2 with big dreams of becoming a metropolis complete with big city lights and a Red Robbins and a Lowe's Home Improvement Center). But them days are long gone by and me 'n Pookie are so much less energetic nowadays (and although Monroe now has a Red Robbin and Lowe's Home Improvement Center... right across the street from the Galaxy 12 Cineplex as a matter of fact... it's still a cow town on hwy 2 and the gravel pit is still in business). Anyways, on with my review. So... the double feature... we were feelin' spry and wild... maybe it was the promise of Spring, or maybe we had been drinking too much Diet Coke, I don't know... maybe we just wanted to escape our wearies and woes and we had some extra danieros in our pocket. it was just something we had to do. Soooooo... we did.

The first movie we saw was Jumper; the story of a crazy kid with a crazy gift and no sense of personal or ethical responsibility. After learning that all he had to do was visualize in his mind where he wanted to be and **Poof** he was there (his motto was "if you can think it, you are there") he became a lazy slob who didn't even take the time to learn how to use a doorknob (which became an obvious problem for him when "jumped" home from the opera only to find his front room full of a big bad Samuel Jackson waiting for him and the poor lad couldn't figure out how to open the door ("why didn't he just jump back out?" you ask. Pay your own $7.50 and find out).
For a show that I thought was going to serious exploration into the juxtaposition of trying to develop a serious loving relationship within the boundless nexus of the space-time continuum (a definite metaphor to the the Mormon concept of eternal families), I was sorely disappointed and Pooky was just downright confused. (I hate it when I have to leave her to make a quick jaunt to the men's room only to return in the middle of a critical fight scene where the hero has somehow gotten tied up in a web of high voltage cables fighting off the evils of darkness while at the same time trying as best he can to create a worm hole with nothing but a whim and a thought which will suck his reality, not to mention his apartment building, into a parallel universe in order to save his lover's life while possibly destroying his own, and in an attempt to grasp the magnitude of what is unfolding on the screen before me, asking Pookie, "what did I miss??" and hearing her non-chalant reply, "ummm... nothing much." ) It was too deep a movie for my Love. I understand this now. Soooo on a Kelly's scale of Sir Issac Newton to Albert Einstein I give it a Mr. Waldron for good effort but obviously playing too those hoping for a sequel. And what about jet lag??

Our next Choi du Cinema (impressive, no?) was something of a lighter fare. Pooky loves the kids classics (as well as story lines with a little more fantasy and a lot less hard scientific theory.. actually she loves the romantic comedies but we couldn't make the showing of 10,000 BC) so into the Spiderwick Chronicles we went. I have to admit, this was a bit more fun and entertaining (OK, OK... I like the kids fantasy thing too). This movie had that kid who starred in August Rush (do NOT get me started on that mess of a movie) in a roll a' la Haley Mills in the Parent Trap (i.e. he played twins). Lots of fun and creepy creatures trying to get some book that he, his "brother", and his sister are supposed to protect and keep hidden. I have to admit, there were some scenes in there that would have had me as a 5 year old crawling under the seats and bawling like a baby, but the end was surprisingly funny and light hearted. On a Kelly's scale of scary movies, I think I'd rate it in there with "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" (what a classic) for about the same mixture of chills 'n giggles (remember that organ in the attic with the blood stains on the keys?? Thinking of that organ playing by itself still gives me the willies 40 years later!!)

Now, speaking of love comedies, I went and saw 10,000 BC the other night because I new it just had to be one of the best movies of the 2008 season. OH MY WORD! I have three words for this movie (for the love of all that is good and worthwhile, PLEASE give heed!): DO NOT GO!!! Actually, this movie can be summed up in one word: LOSER (or perhaps another three words: WASTE OF MONEY!!). In the infamous words of Mr. Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

(Pookee Love.... you would have hated it)

No comments: